In this segment we return to the narratives from a literary and historical perspective, discuss LDS approaches to sexuality from a more critical perspective, confront difficult issues such as rape and sexual abuse, and get into more detail about sexual morality.
One Time Donation:
Other Reading: None
Sara, Corey, Jennifer and Natasha continue the valuable discussion.
You can access the Annotated Reading here (or PDF)
You can access the Lesson Notes here (or PDF)
Lesson Part 2: Scholarship
0:00 Rape or Inappropriate Sex?
4:05 Genesis 49:5-7
6:02 Genesis 38
Lesson Part 3: Study Notes
9:00 Sexuality in LDS Context
16:30 Addressing Sexual Sin
Discussion Part 3 (Mature Content)
20:59 How to Use These Bible Stories in Church
34:27 Most Urgent Points For Improvement of LDS Sexual Discourse
43:15 Principles Underlying Sexual Standards/Guidance
1:03:45 Women as Sexual Commodities
1:11:50 Inequality in Messaging
1:15:20 Teaching Sexual Topics/Stories in Church
- Elder Holland, Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
- Mormonism’s sexuality and modesty discourse, MormonMatters
- Jennifer Fife’s interview on Mormon women and sexuality at Mormon Stories
- And They Were Not Ashamed, Deseret Book (Great book on married sexuality)
- Real Intimacy (another book about sexuality from an LDS perspective)
- Passionate Marriage, a very helpful though mainstream book about sexuality (perhaps not for all LDS couples)
- Write up about a Sunstone Presentation how Romance novels lead to better sex for Mormon women
- Natasha Parker’s blog post about masturbation
- Natasha’s blog “Mormon Therapist” (lots of great resources)
- Mormon Sex Girls on masturbation at the Cultural Hall podcast
- Lisa at FeminstMormonHousewives talks about her perspective on sexuality
Thanks to James Estrada for postproduction, and as always to Steven Nelson for the beautiful bumper music.