I know I often use superlatives relating to these lessons, but this topic might deserve a few. Is there any topic more thrilling and discussion provoking as the Second Coming? When I subbed youth Sunday School and asked for questions, the Second Coming was a requested topic. This is blockbuster movie material. And it has been.
What most believers don’t know is that believers have been fascinated with the idea of the Second Coming since the first generation of Christians, and that ideas of God fixing the world go back even further! This lesson will
- Explore the way members have talked about the Second Coming, both currently and in the past
- Provide two “take home” approaches, namely:
- The timing of the Second Coming is not like a scheduled plane flight; we have a role in preparing the world for the Second Coming, to build Zion and doing what we can to repair the world
- It is problematic, even harmful to depend on the Second Coming arriving by a certain time. As prophets have summarized, we should live prepared for the return of Jesus, but we should also make responsible long term plans (“still plant cherry trees”). Most urgently, we need to be wise stewards of the earth and prepare for the long term.
- Discuss the Millennium
- I will also go over the history of the idea of the Second Coming.
One Time Donation:
Additional Teacher Reading: D&C 110:16; D&C 63:34; D&C 133:46–53; D&C 101; D&C 88:110; D&C 61:38; D&C 65:2–6; D&C 110:11–16; D&C 112:24; D&C 63:33; D&C 38:30; D&C 33:17; D&C 39:19–20; D&C 87:8; D&C 86; Matthew 13:24–30; Matthew 25:1–13
Join Heidi, Sarah, and Carson for an engaged discussion.
You can access my Lesson Notes here
You can access my Reading Notes here
- CES Fireside by Elder Holland on the Second Coming
- 1979 BYU Speech by Elder Hinckley on the Second Coming
- Excellent article addressing how the Second Coming not coming as expected transformed Mormonism.
- Article on the parallel responses to the delay of Christ’s coming in early Christianity and Mormonism
- Great discussion of approaches to the Second Coming and Millennium in Dialogue
- A thoughtful post about Patriarchal Blessings (which often factor into discussions of the timing of the Second Coming)
- Article on Mormon Folklore
- Academic article on the changing expectations for Jesus’ return in early Christianity
- Richard Draper’s overview of prophecies relating to the Second Coming
- A general list of events leading up to the Millennium
Many thanks to Devin Roth for the beautiful bumper music. Check out his arrangement of hymns and other work at DevinRothMusic!
Thanks to James Estrada of Oak Street Audio for his timely and high quality post-production.